Thursday 11 August 2011

Knife Forging

One of the other things I got to do in Denmark was something I have wanted to do for quite a while, which is forge something out of metal. Unfortunately I was late to the forging session (I slept in) so I only had time to make a rough knife (not too bad then). I first heated up the metal in the forge till it was red hot and then a hammered an edge onto one side. As I did this repeatedly the sharpened edge began to curve away from the knife so I had to hammer it back to curve in the other direction. Once that was done I used a chisel to cut off the top edge of the curve to leave a (roughly) flat top edge and then cooled it off in water. Below are some photos of the forged knife.


 These below are pictures of me making the knife.


 Now that I am home I will use a sand paper and wire wool to clean the sides of the knife to a reflective (hopefully) finish and a file to add a decent edge to it. I will also add a handle but that will all come later(much later at the rate things are going at the moment).

No comments:

Post a Comment