Friday 28 October 2011

Deconstructivism Mug, and a DSLR

So Friday is Design Process day. And after a lecture on historical design styles, such as Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Bauhaus, Streamlining and Post-Modernism, we got to do some 3D sketching also known as model making in Pink Foam. The item I am making is the first part of the assignment I mentioned earlier. The brief is to take an ordinary item, in this case a mug, and apply a historic design style. The style I have chosen is called Deconstructivism. Seen most prominently in architecture, it dismantles the preconceived shapes of a building an turns them into flowing curves and abstract shapes, such as with the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao designed by Frank Gehry.
 So that is the sort of effect I am trying to establish here with this mug, which as you should be able to guess, is unfinished, but I still have another four hour session next week where I will be able to finish it off. Below is a picture of the tools and materials I used to get this far, I also used a hot wire cutter to establish the basic shape.

After the workshop I attended a rapid visualization workshop, run by three third years who had spent a term studying rapid visualization in San Fransisco University for their placement year. The workshop concentrated on breaking objects down into basic rectangles and cylinders, using the example of a DLSR camera shown below.

 The first task was to simply establish the basic shapes around a photocopy of the camera itself and extracting from that different views (above). After that we had to recreate the camera from scratch without using rulers on A3 layout paper. With my version I am very happy with how the body turned out but I messed up with the proportions of the lens, but still not bad for a 15min job.
Anyway that's all for today, more stuff tomorrow, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment