Sunday 4 December 2011

Hidden Heroes and a Giant Reindeer

 Today I had a trip into London, I went for a couple of reasons as I will show below, and I had a very interesting time. Visiting London will always be a fun experience, and as I am so close I intend to take advantage of that over the next few years. First I visited the Science Museum, where I had intended to see an exhibition on the integration of Robots into daily lives. But it was fully booked and today was the last day. However....

I did find another exhibition that was interesting and more relevant to my course. The exhibition is called Hidden Heroes, and tells of the invention and development of a number of overlooked items in today's society. Some example were: Rubber bands, Ballpoint pens, Teabags, Post-it Notes, Tissues, Safety Matches,  Paper Clips, Condoms, Clothes Hangers, Drinks Cartons, Bubble Wrap, Pencils, Sticky Tape, Wall Plugs, Lego and Bar codes. Photos were prohibited, so I made sketches and notes on each object.

It was a very interesting display and showed the remarkable amount of effort that had gone into developing some of the objects. So a day redeemed. I also had a look round at the museums other exhibits, before doing some shopping at the London Graphic Centre and Magma shops.

I must say however the most surprising thing of the day was this found at Covent Garden:
It was also the most disappointing as it was fake, oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment