Monday 12 December 2011

Wood Workshop- Trammel Box and Table construction

Back to the workshop. Today I continued with the wood workshop, working on the trammel box and table. The box for the trammel, is made out of beech, (we had a choice between beech or mahogany) and is designed to, with an extra part that will be made in the plastics workshop, to hold and display the trammel from the metal machining workshop.
Today I managed to effectively finish the box, leaving the varnish to dry over night and then I will clean it up in the morning. I am really pleased with the finish I got on the joints in the box ( a LOT of sanding down) and I am pleased that it is basically done as this leaves more time to work on the table.

The table is made out of oak, and is only a small side table, however for this we do get to design the tabletop however we like (within reason).
 Having previously cut out the joints on the correct pieces of oak (it was already cut to two sets of four lengths, one set for the legs, the other for the sides), today I was able to clean up the joints and begin it's assembly and gluing, fixing the four legs into two sides of the table. Tomorrow I will be able to connect these two parts together with the other two sides and begin work on the table top.

Below are my sketches for the table top designs. With the first page it was simply vague categories of possibilities, no true designs. But I then came up with the climbing idea on the second page to the right.
But it was rejected as being too complicated. So I went back to the sketches and, inspired by a 'cracked' table I found while researching, I decided to make the table look as if it has been shot. But to twist things up a bit I have chosen to depict the crack as if it was made of glass, as this will add to the surrealism of the design, and look more dramatic.
 The crack will be cut right through the table top but with some clever positioning and cutting, the table should be able to keep it's strength and look good, well hopefully, or it could go horribly wrong... oh well, find out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment