Saturday 23 July 2011

Raft Designing

So first things first. Apologies for the lack of post yesterday. It was a rough day for me and I just did not feel up to doing anything all day, an early start did not help. Anyways felling better today, which was good as it was day one of two of my uncles stag do, which I was invited to. Unfortunately due to my recent surgery I was unable to actually participate in the activities of Laser Tag (paintball without the paint or pain) and raft building (an elaborate way to fall into the water). However I went to enjoy the people and the fun (and the BBQ) and I took a load of photos as well, so not too bad.

So the raft building got me thinking, what is the best design for a raft? So using the same materials, 4 plastic barrels, some metal poles and some rope, here are a few different designs I came up with.
The materials.

This is the streamlined design with the four barrels close together. Sturdy but not much space.

The favorite design of the day with both teams choosing this, two barrels together on each side with a gap between.

A more spread out version of the previous design. More stable but less sturdy due to being spread out.

Finally a slightly odd triangle shaped design. To be honest I have no idea how this would cope but I doubt it would do too well.

I did also toy with the idea of all four barrels in a straight line, but it would be so unstable as to be completely impractical. So again sorry for the lapse yesterday and as always please leave any comments I really do appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment